Minimum essential coverage
To avoid the fee in 2014 you need insurance that qualifies as minimum essential coverage. If you’re covered by any of the following in 2014, you’re considered covered and don’t have to pay a penalty:
* Any Marketplace plan, or any individual insurance plan you already have
* Any employer plan (including COBRA), with or without “grandfathered”status. This includes retiree plans
* TRICARE (for veterans and veteran families)
* Veterans health care programs
* Peace Corps Volunteer plans
Other plans may also qualify.